Right up front, let me put it out there… I’m a let’s get to church every Sunday kind of guy. I see that hand there in the back… yes, I am a pastor but getting to church on a Sunday is not because I’m a pastor, it’s because I’m a believer in Jesus. I was, am, and will be confused as to why believers in Jesus find other reasons not to be in church on a Sunday. It just doesn’t track with me.
Before you get all huffy and start calling me names, why not check out the list of reasons for going to church put together by a guy at Hillsong. Some of the reasons are fun, some provoke thought and they in no particular order.
Why go to Church? Here’s the list of 99 reasons you should go to Church this weekend:
1. The Bible indicates it’s what we should do. (Hebrews 10:25)
2. You will have the opportunity to worship God.
3. You will likely have some of life’s big questions answered.
4. The preaching of the Bible will help set direction for your life.
5. You will probably make some new friends.
6. You’ll probably see some old friends.
7. Being there is a sign of your discipleship.
8. Being there will encourage your pastors and leaders.
9. You’ll be encouraged in your walk with God.
10. You’ll likely encourage other people in their walk with God.
11. If you’re single, you may meet someone.
12. It will help you define what you believe.
13. It will help you understand the Bible.
14. If you have kids, it will teach them to value God and His Church.
15. People who attend church usually live longer (I didn’t make this one up… google it!)
16. It will give you an outlet for service and ministry.
17. It can help you develop personal leadership.
18. You’ll sing inspirational songs that will carry you during the week.
19. It will encourage you that God is good (if it doesn’t, it should).
20. It will help you to look outside yourself.
21. It will provide an opportunity to give financially to extending God’s Kingdom.
22. You’ll receive love from other people.
23. You’ll be able to show love toward others.
24. You’ll hear about the great things God is doing in His Church locally and throughout the earth.
25. You’ll be prayed for.
26. You will be able to pray for others.
27. You’re likely to hear and be encouraged by answered prayers.
28. You will be able to give praise reports and share stories of God working in your life.
29. You will be able to worship God with other likeminded people.
30. It’s an opportunity to introduce a friend who doesn’t know Christ.
31. You’ve probably got nothing better to do. (Watching TV, or sleeping-in don’t count as better!)
32. Your family need you to go.
33. It honours God.
34. Because gathering is part of what it means to be a Christian.
35. Because it’s good to have your views and opinions challenged.
36. Because we all need regular reminders of our position in Christ.
37. It will help you acknowledge and confess your sins.
38. It helps you to be in the world, but not of it.
39. It will help you end one week, and starts the next, with the right focus.
40. It’s a break from work.
41. It will help you re-order your priorities.
42. It’s where your real friends are.
43. It will help you put your life story, into the grand narrative of scripture.
44. It will remind you that you have nothing to fear.
45. It helps take your focus off yourself and onto God.
46. It helps bring perspective and feeds the soul.
47. Because gathering strengthens your faith.
48. The discipline of going will help you be disciplined across all areas of life.
49. It will allow for support in times of need.
50. It promotes stability in your life.
51. It helps to promote a happy marriage.
52. It gives you something great to do with your kids.
53. It will help you to improve your self-esteem.
54. It will help your interpersonal skills.
55. It will help increase your ability to cope with the trials of life.
56. It will help you to be a happy person.
57. It will positively influence future generations.
58. It will provide you with an opportunity to share in communion.
59. It will allow you to take an active role in missions work.
60. It will help you be a better member of your local community.
61. It will help develop your children’s self-confidence.
62. Your children will learn the Bible.
63. It may keep you out of trouble.
64. It will help give you a sense of purpose.
65. It will shape your vision of the future.
66. It will give you eternal hope.
67. It will help you to know what you believe.
68. It will help you to know what you stand for.
69. It will encourage creativity.
70. It will allow you to be disciplined, mentored and pastored.
71. Because you’ll learn about Jesus and have the opportunity to get to know Him.
72. Because you want to go.
73. It’s a pleasant experience.
74. It will give you the opportunity to express yourself in song.
75. It beats staying at home and being alone.
76. You get to put your Sunday best on… (or your skinny jeans depending on the church).
77. You’ll find acceptance.
78. You’ll be loved.
79. You can love others there.
80. Real forgiveness is found there.
81. The gathering of God’s people will help draw you closer to God.
82. You’ll meet likeminded people.
83. Jesus will be there.
84. It will remind you that you’re not alone.
85. It will help the process of sanctification.
86. You’re likely to learn something about God, the Bible, yourself, or others.
87. Growth of the fruit of the Spirit will likely happen.
88. It will bring with it tangible and intangible blessing.
90. It’s a declaration that you’re a Christian.
91. It will give you something interesting to talk about on Monday at work.
92. Because being planted will help your life to flourish.
93. It reflects a life lived beyond yourself.
94. It will bring joy to your life.
95. A miracle you need may come to pass.
96. You’ve been promising someone that you’d go and it’s time to make good on your word.
97. Because it’s the right thing to do.
98. Because faith without works is dead.
99. It will literally change your life for eternity!
Why go to church this weekend? You’d be crazy not to go, especially with all these reasons to be there!!